Friday, September 5, 2008

'Back then, those people were called "nerds" or "freaks"': Week 3 Readings

I really enjoyed the article about Linux. I already had a basic understanding about what Linux is, but I didn't really know the history of the development of Linux. The whole "Open Source" thing really jibes with my worldview. I've been meaning to give Linux a shot, but for whatever reason, I just can't seem to bring myself to partition my hard drive. I don't know why, but I stared at my Ubuntu disk for months and just couldn't install it!

I've been a Mac user my entire life, but I could not understand the 'What is Mac OS X?' article for the life of me. I guess maybe it is a good thing that I haven't installed that Ubuntu disk. I could do some real damage to this poor, crippled MacBook. I'll leave it to the '"nerds" or "freaks."' The story of OS X was pretty neat to read, though, because I remember reading about Copland and Rhapsody back in the day.

4 comments:

April M, CCLS Children's Librarian said...

I was hoping that a Mac user would blog that the Mac articles were easy to follow because they have always used a Mac. However, if you, a Mac user, had difficulty with the article, I don't feel so bad. I did get a basic understanding, but it didn't make me want to jump to Mac.

Anonymous said...

I too had difficulty with the Mac articles. But, how does the Linux "open-source" jibe your worldview? Anyway, Linux seems to be an interesting idea and, since I am having such a rotten time with this MacBook, I might install Bootcamp 2.0!!!

Samantha Le Blanc said...

Personally, I don't have a preference over using a PC or a Mac.

I think it's only in the recent years that Mac has made a comeback although I'm sure for the loyal Mac users, there was never any doubt. It's interesting to learn about origins of the Mac operating system, and I think the fact that it uses the Linux logic, makes it a little more transparent and allows the (Mac)user to feel more comfortable.

You don't really get that feeling from a PC user.

Unknown said...

I totally had the opposite feeling from the Mac articles -- especially the Singh article. He has me ready to start hacking on my iMac! I'm by no means an expert. I started using Mac's in college 20+ years ago and had to switch to PC in the business world. I'm back on Mac by choice as I have worked from home for years. I am pretty much ambidexterous, but prefer Mac. Singh had such great tips for getting to know your mac better.